Fringe Benefits are an important component for recruiting and keeping high quality employees in today’s business world. But the diversity of available fringe benefits can make the area of payroll compliance positively overwhelming!
Let’s face it… complying with the Internal Revenue Tax Code requirements and federal regulations for fringe benefits such as relocation, meals, lodging, educational assistance, health insurance, transportation and third-party sick pay can be complicated. The taxation and reporting for these fringe benefits offered by many companies today are major components of a payroll department’s responsibilities. And with the IRS looking for consistency of treatment—you can’t afford to make a mistake.
As a payroll professional you must know cold—no guessing—when a fringe benefit is taxable and when it is not, when it is reportable and when it is not. Payroll must know when providing a fringe benefit must be considered wages or if it is “tax free”. What if the employee pays some of the cost of a fringe benefit? How does that affect taxing and reporting? Are there dollar limits? Does it become taxable after a certain amount? And after you have mastered all the facts along comes a new tax bill by Congress that can change everything you just learned when it comes to taxing fringe benefits.
All fringe benefits must be handled correctly, under the latest rules, to minimize the chance for penalties and interest to be levied against your company or for triggering larger and more intrusive governmental audits.
Fringe Benefits covered in this event:
Transportation Fringe Benefits
- What are the four allowable methods to calculate the personal use of a company car
- How to calculate the taxable wages for the personal use of a company vehicle using one of the four accepted IRS methods
- When an auto allowance is considered taxable wages and when it is not
- IRS 132 transportation fringe benefits including parking, bus passes and tokens and bicycles—when to tax and when not too
- Calculating the personal use of a company aircraft even if there is a business trip involved somewhere
Section 132 Fringe Benefits
- Working Condition Fringe Benefits
- De Minimis Fringe Benefits
- Employee Discounts
- No additional cost services
- Employee Achievement Awards for Length of Service and Safety-the changes under the new tax bill
- Prizes and Awards—Cash and Noncash
- Cell phones
- Gift certificates and gift cards
- Holiday gifts
Meals, Clothing, Housing and Education Fringe Benefits
- The changes to employer provided relocation under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017
- On-site lodging taxation and reporting
- Taxing lodging for executives such as vacation condos
- Providing meals for employees—is it taxable or not?
- Are the rules different for on-site cafeterias
- What if the employee pays for the meal—does that affect taxation
- What to do with occasional meals
- Educational assistance programs and taxation
Who can Benefit:
- Payroll Executives/ Managers/ Administrators/ Professionals/ Practitioners/ Entry Level Personnel
- Human Resources Executives/ Managers/ Administrators
- Accounting Personnel
- Business Owners/ Executive Officers/ Operations and Departmental Managers
- Attorneys/ Legal Professionals
- Any individual or entity that must deal with the complexities and requirements of Payroll compliance issues
Vicki M. Lambert
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor™, a firm specializing in payroll education and training. The company’s website www.thepayrolladvisor.com offers a payroll news service which keeps payroll professionals up-to-date on the latest rules and regulations.
With 40 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll functions as well as over three decades as a trainer and author, Ms. Lambert has become the most sought-after and respected voice in the practice and management of payroll issues. She has conducted open market training seminars on payroll issues across the United States that have been attended by executives and professionals from some of the most prestigious firms in business today.
A pioneer in electronic and online education, Ms. Lambert produces and presents payroll related audio seminars, webinars and webcasts for clients, APA chapters and business groups throughout the country. Ms. Lambert now presents a weekly podcast, Payroll 24/7, on all things payrolls.
Pedu is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for 1.5 PDCs for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or recertification, please portal.shrm.org.
This Program has been approved for 1.5 HR (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR™, aPHRi™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™, and SPHRi™ recertification through HR Certification Institute®? (HRCI®).
Pedu Courses and Webinar or any Education published “Articles & Materials” strictly follows the standards and guidelines of the Professional Credit / CEU Providers and Well Researched before publishment.
Pedu doesn’t support any Fake – News, Articles, or Compliance updates; Our Industry Experts are highly verified and recognized, and their Pre-publishment is verified via our experts and fact-checkers.
How do I get enrolled for this
Sign up now on pedu.io. Visit pedu.io to discover a wide
range of webinars from industry specialists. Tick on either ‘live webinar’ or
‘on-demand’, and simply click on ‘buy now’ to get enrolled.
Can I get somebody else enrolled for
this course? If yes, how?
You can refer Pedu to anyone in your social circle.
Explore your industry with your colleagues by getting them signed up on pedu.io
How can I access the live
Go for the topic of your keen interest on pedu.io. Tick
on ‘live webinar’ and get enrolled! Easy registration, transparent
Can I attend the webinar without an
You can request for an on-demand webinar that records the
live webinar for you. After the webinar ends, you will have full access to the
What is an “On Demand”?
If you can’t attend the live webinar, simply go for the
‘on-demand webinar’ for the same price! Now, the live webinar recording will be
saved in a cloud storage for you to access anytime from anywhere.
Will the transcript be a hard-copy or
Pedu offer only soft copies of the webinars. It contains
all the highlights as well as comprehensive descriptions of the webinar, so you
never miss out a single detail.
Can I ask question(s) to the
At the end of each webinar, you have the opportunity to
interact with your industry experts, where you will get answers to all your
I missed the live webinar. What
Don’t worry, If you can’t join live webinar. Pedu has
automatically send you On Demand on your registered mail id after conducting
live webinar. So, you never miss out a single detail.
Isn’t it helpful?
Ask your question directly from our Customer